6 Actions to Energize Your Brain!
Some fun and quick ways to stay energized and stimulate your brain! I hope you enjoy some of these as I do. The world is an amazing place and there is so much to learn I want to keep my brain stimulated and working. Good thoughts to you.
Quick scalp scratch: Donna Eden, in her book Energy Medicine, calls this the crown pull. It’s a simple technique you can use sitting in your office or at home for releasing mental congestion and refreshing the mind. Start with your fingers on your forehead in the middle with your thumbs at your temples and pull your fingers along your forehead away from each other towards your ears, continue this on the top of your head, finger tips lightly scratching/massaging as they work down towards your ears, then start at the top again further back until you have done your whole head. This helps reset your energy and mental clarity.
Stand on your head: A 90 year old man still going strong told me to do this every day. He said he stands on his head first thing every morning and it gets the blood rushing to his brain. He believes this has helped keep him healthy and alert. I have started to do a handstand against the wall instead and love the feeling it gives my whole body and the rosy flush to my cheeks.
Sleep: There is a great TED talk online about the reason we need sleep. It shows new brain research pictures that are amazing. Deep sleep is the only time that our brain flushes the waste toxins built up from the day. So set yourself up for good sleep! Not sleeping well or long enough creates that foggy feeling in our brains (toxin build-up).
Trigger Talk: Negative thoughts shut down the creative/intuitive center of our brains. When you are feeling down, discouraged or just “off”, and your mind starts spiraling into the negative zone, here’s what you do: have a quote, saying, affirmation or just positive words READY that you can chant to yourself, to jump your mind back out of the gutter. It is proven that your mind can’t stay negative if chanting positive words, especially if done with a smile on your face. Find some that work for you to have when you need them. It’s powerful! Here are some from the Bible, the most read self-help manual in the world:
- “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” II Timothy 1;7.
- “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.” Phil. 4;13
- “Do not fear for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you.” Isaiah 41;10.
Exercise: Most people know that aerobic exercise releases serotonin (our feel good hormone) in our bodies. Research is now showing that movement is the #1 best thing for keeping our brains healthy and alert as we age! Moving our bodies in an active way helps our brain feel good and stay young. Yay! “Just do it” -Nike
Eat Brainy Foods: Our brains are made up of 90% fat and need fat to feed them! That is, the right kinds of fats and oils. Listed are some good foods and herbs to feed the brain and the body. Enjoy!
- Walnuts – They look like little brains and they are excellent food for our brains. Walnuts contain good fats that are perfect food for the brain.
- Avocados – again, great fats to feed the brain.
- Safflower, flax and coconut oils – great oils for the brain, along with omega rich, mercury free fish oils.
- Herbs – Rosemary, Sage and Gingko Biloba have been used for many years to stimulate the brain and prevent memory loss. They are most effective when taken together and are lovely in our Thinker’s Tea.
- Peppermint Therapeutic Essential Oil – shown to stimulate the brain 28% on some studies of test takers. Very quick to relieve headaches, clear stuffed up sinuses, and recharge thinking; one drop of peppermint oil placed in hand then carefully rubbed on temples, up back of the neck, on nose or breathed in enough. Caution: do not get in eyes or inner ears.